Breakfast, Beverage, Whole Flaxseed
Telba is a traditional Ethiopian beverage; simply made from toasted flaxseed, water and honey.
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole flaxseed
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1 - 2 Tbsp (15 - 30 mL) honey
- Cinnamon to taste (optional)
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over low heat. Add the flaxseed, stirring constantly for about 5 to 10 minutes or until flaxseed smells nutty and sweet. Remove from heat and set aside to cool
- Place the toasted flaxseed in a spice grinder and grind to a powder.
- In a medium bowl combine ground flax and water, stir and set aside for about 10 to 20 minutes to allow solids to settle out.
- You can strain the telba into a pitcher and discard the solids or if you want the extra fibre don’t strain and drink it as is. Add honey to taste and chill before serving. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon if desired.
Yield: 6 servings.
Serving Size: 1 cup (250 mL).
|Total Fat||8 g|
< Back to main Recipes page