Sweet Potato Pancakes
Appetizer, Diabetic Friendly, Ground Flaxseed
A nice accompaniment for pan roasted pork tenderloin with flax crust
- 2 cups (500 mL) lightly packed grated sweet potato
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) grated onion
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped cilantro*
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) curry powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 1% milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- canola oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine sweet potato, onion, cilantro and egg. Add flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, salt and curry; stir. Add milk and butter. Stir to form batter.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat, add 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil and swirl to coat pan.
- Using 1 Tbsp (15 mL) measure, drop rounded scoop of batter into fry pan and flatten slightly with back of the spoon.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until nicely browned on bottom and around edges. Flip over, gently pressing down on pancake with back of pancake turner; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cooked through. Continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used, adding more oil to pan as needed.
- Serve with plain yogurt and mango chutney.
Yield: 5 servings
Serving Size: 3 pancakes. Each serving contains 2 Tbsp (25 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||3 g|
< Back to main Recipes page