Sweet Hometown Corn Muffins
Baking, Breakfast, Diabetic Friendly, Heart Healthy, Ground Flaxseed
Imagine coming home to the smell of these corn muffins in the oven, Yum! Made vegan with a flax egg and soy milk!
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) plain yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- Dash of cayenne
- 1 cup (250 mL) soy milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- Preheat oven 425ºF (215ºC). Coat a 12-tin nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water; let stand 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cayenne, stir until well blended.
- Whisk soy milk, oil and vinegar into flax mixture until completely blended. Add to flour mixture and stir until JUST moistened. Do NOT over mix.
- Spoon equal amounts of the batter in each of the tins and bake 11-12 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Place on wire rack 5 minutes before removing from tins.
Yield: 12 muffins
Serving Size: 1 muffin. Each muffins contains 1/4 tsp (1 mL) flax.
- It's important not to stir once the mixture is just moistened because it will cause the muffins to be tough and will not rise properly.
|Total Fat||0 g|
< Back to main Recipes page