Red Snapper and Bean Salad with Cuban Mojito Sauce
Entree, Diabetic Friendly, Heart Healthy, Whole Flaxseed, Flax Oil
Drizzle Mojito sauce over the salad and gently toss.
- Mojito Sauce:
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of ½ lime
- grated peel of ½ lime
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) flaxseed oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) crushed dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 lb (450 g) red snapper fillet
- 2 orange
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- alt and pepper to taste
- 19 oz (540 mL) can black beans or black eyed bean
- 3 cups (750 mL) torn spinach or lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered red pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) slivered red onion
- To prepare sauce: In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine orange juice, lime juice, lime peel, flaxseed oil, whole flaxseed, vinegar, garlic, ginger, oregano, sugar, cumin and salt. Shake well.
- To prepare salad: In a fry pan, with a lid, slice one orange into 1/4 inch (6 mm) slices. Lay in bottom of pan then lay snapper fillets on top. Pour water over, lightly season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer. Cook until fish is opaque all the way through, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift fish out of fry pan. Let cool on several layers of paper towel.
- In a large salad bowl, combine beans, lettuce, red pepper and red onion.
- Peel remaining orange, separate into segments. Cut each segment crosswise into four. Add to salad.
- Drizzle Mojito sauce over salad and gently toss.
- Break snapper into bite size pieces and gently toss into salad.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup (250 mL). Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flaxseed oil and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of whole flaxseed.
|Total Fat||1 g|
< Back to main Recipes page