Hearty Cinnamon-Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Baking, Breakfast, Ground Flaxseed
These vegan muffins are definitely hearty and delicious!
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) water
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) unbleached white flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) quick cooking oat
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon, divided use
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) turbinado sugar, divided use
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) diced tart apple, such as Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered almond
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ground flaxseed and water; let stand 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly coat nonstick muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- Add pumpkin, milk, 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar, syrup, and oil to flax mixture; stir until well blended.
- Combine the pumpkin mixture with the flour mixture and stir until JUST blended. Do not overmix.
- Divide evenly among 12 muffin tins, (the cups will be very full.), and top with apples and almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugar and 3/4 tsp (4 mL) cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over all.
- Bake for 25-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand in the pan for 10 full minutes. Carefully remove and cool on wire rack.
Yield: 12 muffins
Serving Size: 1 muffin each muffin contains 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground flax
- May substitute the 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) allspice with 2 tsp (10 mL) pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
|Total Fat||0.5 g|
< Back to main Recipes page