Golden Grain Muffins
Baking, Breakfast, Ground Flaxseed
These muffins are a quick and easy breakfast treat!
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick cooking oat
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural bran
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) liquid honey
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) golden raisins, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- In a large bowl, combine oats, bran, salt, cinnamon and buttermilk. Mix well and let stand 15 minutes. Add honey, egg mixture and oil; mix well.
- In another bowl, combine whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder and baking soda. Add to oat mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in raisins.
- Spray muffin tins with a non-stick cooking spray. Using a 1/3 cup (75 mL) measure, scoop batter into tins, two thirds full.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool in tins 5 minutes before removing to a rack.
- *Buttermilk substitute: 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt OR 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL). Let stand 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin. Each muffin contains 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ground flax.
Yield: 12 servings
Serving Size: 1 muffin. Each muffin contains 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ground flax.
|Total Fat||1 g|
< Back to main Recipes page