Chicken Herb Stuffing
Entree, Whole Flaxseed, Ground Flaxseed
Apple juice or chicken broth can be substituted for white wine.
- 2 (6 oz/375 g each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced red pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped, sundried cranberries
- 1 tsp (5 mL) whole flaxseed
- 2 slices whole wheat bread cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) white wine*
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped parsley
- canola oil
- alt and pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- Flatten chicken breast to 1/4 inch (6 mm) thickness between two sheets of wax paper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and red pepper, sauté 1 minute. Add cranberries and whole flaxseed, cook 2 minutes. Remove mixture from heat, let cool a few minutes.
- In a bowl, combine bread, egg, wine, ground flaxseed, parsley, onion-red pepper mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread 1/2 cup (125 mL) stuffing mixture on breast. Roll up. Repeat with other breast.
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C).
- Place chicken rolls on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Lightly brush the top of the chicken rolls with canola oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Rolls should feel firm and bounce back when gently pressed on top with fingertip.
Yield: 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||3 g|
< Back to main Recipes page