Barley and Flax Beer Bread
Baking, Diabetic Friendly, Heart Healthy, Ground Flaxseed
De-alcoholized beer can also be used.
Best eaten the same day but also tasty toasted the next day.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) barley flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
- 1 (355 mL) can beer or 341 mL bottle
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC ).
- In a bowl, combine flours, ground flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir well.
- In another bowl, beat together, with a fork, egg and honey. Gently stir in beer.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Spoon into an 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch (11 x 21 cm) loaf pan that has been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
Yield: 16 servings.
Serving Size: 1 - 1 cm (1/2 inch) slice. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||1 g|
< Back to main Recipes page