Baked Italian Sandwiches
Baking, Entree, Ground Flaxseed
Ideal for lunches on the go!
- 3 Italian sausages (hot or mild), casing removed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced onion
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 1% milk
- In a nonstick fry pan, over medium heat, cook sausage meat, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat, stir in tomato paste and ground flaxseed. Let mixture cool while making dough.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, ground flaxseed, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, oregano, salt and garlic. Mix well.
- Drizzle olive oil over flour mixture. Stir well. Mix with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk, stirring only until ingredients are dampened. Add a little more milk if needed to make a soft dough. Turn dough onto a well floured surface. Knead gently 8 times. Roll dough to 1/4 inch (6 mm) thickness and a 14 inch (35 cm) circle. Cut 6 - 4 1/2 inch (11 cm) circles. Put together scraps, re-roll to cut one more circle.
- Spoon 2 Tbsp (30 mL) filling on half of each circle. Dampen outside edge with water. Fold half of dough over filling to meet other half forming a semi-circle. Seal edges with a fork.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yield: 7 servings
Serving Size: 1 sandwich. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||5 g|
< Back to main Recipes page