Dec 11, 2017 #FlaxFAQ: How can I add flaxseed into my diet?
Q. How can I add flaxseed into my diet?
A: Flaxseed is added to many products on today's grocery shelves because of the omega-3 fats, lignans, and fibre found in the seed, all of which help deliver a unique and nutritious health boost that aids in overall wellness. Here are some ways to use flax:
- Whole flaxseed. Whole flaxseed adds colour and crunch to foods. You can sprinkle flaxseeds on top of home baking or mix them into dough. However, to obtain maximal benefits from flaxseed, you should grind them first because whole seeds will pass through your body undigested.
- Milled (ground) flaxseed. Grinding whole seeds breaks their tough outer shell, creating a light coloured powder. Milled flaxseed is available for purchase, or you can make your own in a coffee grinder, blender, or food processor. Making your own has the added benefit of maximizing freshness. Milled flaxseed can be sprinkled on cereal, or add it to doughs, batters, casseroles, and other cooked foods. Mix some into your salad dressing or in your fruit and cottage cheese for a crunchy flaxseed punch. Stir it into thicker soups such as lentil or bean varieties or into pasta sauces just before serving. Another option is to use it in burgers, meatloaf, and fish or vegetable patties as a healthy filler.
- Flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is sold in bottles. The oil is extracted from whole flaxseeds using a cold-press process especially developed for plant oils. Pour flax oil on fresh salads. The amount of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid is higher in purified flaxseed oil than whole flaxseed, but the oil does not contain the beneficial fibre or lignans.
- Gel capsules. Flaxseed oil is sealed in gel capsules and sold as a dietary supplement. Please follow the manufacturers’ recommended dosages.
- Omega-3-enriched eggs. These eggs contain extra omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseed fed to laying hens. You can use omega-3 eggs wherever you would use regular eggs – there’s no taste or functionality difference, only nutritional enrichment.
- Omega-3-enriched foods. These foods, such as yogurt and milk, may contain flaxseed oil, while baked goods, such as breads, can include milled or whole flaxseed.
Check out our healthy recipes for more ideas!